Sunday, June 26, 2011

After baby’s born, a friendship suffers


Q:My best friend and I have been extremely close since grade school, but now that I’m a new mum, I don’t have much time for her. She’s hurt, even though she knows my baby needs me. How do I make sure I maintain a friendship that is so dear to me?
— Submitted by Chrissie in Colorado Springs, Colo.

Dr. Kenneth N. Condrell, Ph.D.
Child Psychologist

A:You raise a good question, Chrissie. One of the biggest mistakes women make after becoming a mum is to let their friendships fade. So please do yourself a favor and make time to enjoy them. You many not have all the freedom and time you used to, but you certainly can find ways to continue your friendship. Not only will this be good for your mental health, but you also will be a happier mum. Don’t ignore your adult needs now that you are a mother. I see unhappy mothers in my office all the time who gave up their hobbies and friendships when children arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment